Blue Waters Lake – Ocean Grove
Working in the Geelong region, Aus Eco Solutions has been tasked to manage and maintain the Blue Waters Lake Reserve.
The aim for this particular site is to encourage the growth of the native vegetation already there by spot spraying invasive grass broadleaf and escaped garden species out. Manual removal of woody weeds via cut and painting, as well as brushcutting along the paths and the cutting back of vegetation imposing on the foot paths is also a priority for us here.
We are very excited as there is a hillside that was previously planted out with the native grasses which was thought to be ridiculously overgrown and is doing better than first thought. With native grasses moving into the non designated conservation zones, we have started focussing our efforts there on more spot spraying around the areas that the natives inhabit as well as a big sweep through the conservation areas to promote the spread and survival of the native grasses.
Invasive vegetation targeted but not limited to:
- Kikuyu (Pennisetum clandestinum)
- Panic Veldt Grass (Pittosporum undulatum)
- Giant Hairy Willow Herb (Epilobium hirsutum)
- English Ivy (Epilobium hirsutum)
- Italian Buckthorn (Rhamnus alaternus)
- Hemlock (Conium maculatum)
- Sticky Weed (Galium aparine)
- Mirror Bush (Coprosma repens)
- Bristly Ox Tongue (Helminthotheca echioides)
- Various Thistles
- Garden Escapes